Carleton’s Science Buildings: Past and Present
Williams Hall was the first ever science building constructed at Carleton, it housed not only the science departments but also the library.
Built: 1887 | Architect: J. Walter Stevens, St. Paul, MN
This historic building still stands today, and is currently home to three historic telescopes, multiple astronomy classrooms, and the American Studies Department.
LAIRD SCIENCE HALL
Built: 1905 | Architect: Bertrand & Chamberlin, Mpls, MN
Carleton’s second science building was built to house the chemistry, physics, and biology departments. Today, it holds the English department.
LEIGHTON HALL OF CHEMISTRY
Built: 1920 | Architect:Patton, Holmes and Flinn, Chicago
A third science building, Leighton Hall, was erected in 1920, directly behind Williams Hall, to house the chemistry, geology, and geography departments. It currently houses Africana, European, and Medieval and Renaissance studies, History, Philosophy, Religion, and Sociology and Anthropology.
OLIN HALL OF SCIENCE
Built: 1961 | Architect: Minoru Yamasaki, Birmingham, MI
Olin Hall was used for the Biology and Physics department and today, it houses Cognitive Science, Physics and Astronomy, and Psychology.
MUDD HALL OF SCIENCE
Built: 1975 | Architect: Sovik, Mathre, Sathrum, Quanbeck, Northfield, MN
Torn down in 2017 to make way for the new integrated science facility, Mudd Hall was home to Carleton’s geology department for 42 years.
Built: 1995 | Architect:The Stubbins Associates, Inc., MA
Hulings Hall used to be named Biological Science building and later changed. Today, Hulings is home to the Biology and Neuroscience department.
INTEGRATED SCIENCE FACILITY
Scheduled for completion during the 2019-2020 school year, this building will house chemistry, geology, physics, psychology, cognitive science, and computer science.